Thread: Atik 16200
View Single Post
Old 13-11-2016, 11:28 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
For medium + focal lengths this camera is probably the second best on market at the moment (behind the 16803) but as Greg mentions, CCD progress these days hasn't moved too far.
The problem with the CMOS market at the moment is that there just isn't any big mono sensors out there in the sub $15,000 (thinking Nikon specific here). As far as I have been able to find, the largest native mono sensor out there is the M43 design. This is of course with the exception of CentralDS to modify DSLRs and mono them like the 5D Mk II&III and the 6D.

The problem with most of the Central DS cameras at the moment is the back focus, being just modified DSLRs they have an unmanageable back focus once a filter wheel, OAG ect.

We are entering a brave new world, just need bigger more larger sensors to choose from
Hmm, my own experience with CentralDS was not great. They are relying on debayering and this usually (in my experience), produces anomalies in the sensor. The one they did for me had remnants of the debayer layer left on the sensor and the epoxy wire protection got onto the surface. They refunded my payment, eventually. I have debayered a few myself now and usually i am left with a compromise sensor that makes dithering and flats mandatory. Best to buy a sensor that comes from the factory without a bayer matrix - like the Panasonic sensor in the ASI1600mm. But as stated, in the full frame size there is no obvious cmos chip at this time.