View Single Post
Old 15-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Rob_K

Nice job Patrick!

Interesting to read about people's sketching methods and materials, in this and the other thread. I just take out any old bit of paper with a circle drawn on it, and use a micropoint felt-tipped pen. For my M57 sketch I cheated by having a few key field stars marked in by tracing over my FOV brought up on Starry Night. It helps enormously when you're not tracking and the field keeps drifting through. Then went out, drew in the rest of the field stars I could see by larger or smaller dots according to brightness, and drew M57 as I saw it. Went in, scanned the grubby bit of paper, inverted it in Photoshop, pasted over some of my crossing-outs, then applied a blur to M57 until the brightness & smoothness matched the eyepiece view, approximately. Then applied a blur to the rest of the stars until they looked OK! The white background around the FOV was done with 'fill'.

For anyone seriously wanting to sketch though, I strongly recommend Carol Lakomiak's series of articles in Sky At Night magazine. I'm in awe of what she does!

Cheers -