View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I was out tonight too, but not till well after nine. By then the bright Moon was well up and there were bands of very fine high cloud moving across.

Your position description made it very easy to find the spot. Once there and settled, Comet Johnson popped out as a very faint hazy patch with very slight brightening towards the centre. In moments of better seeing a brighter centre was visible. My initial observation was at 33X with a Panoptic 24. For me, the better view was at 62x (LVW 13) as the background Moon lit sky was slightly darker giving better contrast.

I have an observing night this Saturday night and hopefully we will get a better view without the Moon interfering even though it is fading.

I agree, ADS 9247 is an attractive double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
I had a look tonight with my 100mm Vixen. At 27x, it was easily visible, but has dimmed somewhat. At 50x, it was still visible but not as easily to find and not as distinct when found.

Comet Johnson currently lies about 2 degrees beneath and a little to the north of the very attractive double ADS 9247 (14H23, +8.27). This is the first time I have seen this double, so that was a good, unexpected bonus.

Last edited by Tinderboxsky; 13-06-2017 at 09:37 AM.