View Single Post
Old 23-12-2011, 08:50 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
Oh no, Marc says, another question from him! .......

I have a small obs, so have the luxury of a fixed pier and EQ6 to locate the OTA, and a vertical internal wall about 70cm in front of the horizontal OTA .

In this case, in your experience, is it practical to contemplate setting the OTA perfectly horizontal with a level and at right angles to the wall with a carpenter's steel angle, (then memorising that as a home point in EQMOD), then putting solid mounting points at the appropriate points on the wall for the laser board?
Any fine adjustment could then be done with the EQ6. Reason? Beats lugging it all inside and setting up in the living room!
I don't know about that. I tried once to register it with the scope on the mount when I first bought it, even used the external markers. I remember it was a real pain. But I guess with a bit of practice it would work. Regardless you'll have to mount the board on a bracket because everytime you move the scope you have to move the board again and vice versa and iterate to the right orientation. I see this as a tool to align and diagnose mechanical problem with optics. Not a collimation tool because the result will depend on how good you register the board to the scope. It'll get you very close but a star test is still the finishing touch.