View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Hi,

Given the potential risks to running a UPS without an RCD on the output, is there any standard for UPS manufacturers to provide adequate protection?

I work in IT and use UPS's all the time, but wasn't really aware of this.
I'm surprised manufacturers like APC wouldn't have thought of this or included this in their products?

Is there a risk to running any equipment on UPS when not plugged into mains indoors, and does it get worse if run outdoors?

is an RCD similar to an ELCB?

At astrocamps, we often use powerboards in the field and that is exposed. is that considered risky?
Indoors an RCD is a liabilty on a UPS output. The UPS is to provide power in the event of failure of supply so the system (server\pc etc) keep going long enough for a graceful shutdown with minimal damage or corruption. If the RCD trips which can happen as the UPS takes load then all is lost. Not so important in astro setup obviously especially if you are using laptops anyway.

In a standalone situation where the UPS is not connected to the mains but is providing power to mount\pc whatever then there is no earth return involved. The only chance of shock is back to the UPS itself even if it is still plugged to mains but the supply switch is turned off. Its a closed circuit in that set up. RCD performance may be unreliable as it has no earth reference point to detect imbalance.

My wife was the APC person in NZ for 5-6 years, now working for another UPS company. We run 5 at home including a 3kva double online conversion to the sound\entertainment system

I will run my Ob on a modified UPS soon, derive 12 volts direct from the batteries and everything else from the 240vac output.