Thread: First light
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2010, 02:22 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

First light

After getting through Christmas , SWMBO birthday , and yet another family gathering I could finally stay home and play with my new toy .

First light for the 10" lightbridge.

Started with Jupiter before it disappeared behind the tree. Unfortunately didn't have collimation even close so was not a good view. By the time I got it collimated to where it was useable Jupiter was gone.

Then I just went for the easy targets and wow did they look good.

M42 - I was blown away by how much I could see from my backyard. Looked like a giant bird with the wings spread wide open.

M45 - I could see more stars in there than ever before.

Eta Carina looked awsome in this thing, can't wait to get it to a dark site.

Tarantula nebula just jumped out and said look at me. I could easily see some of the other clusters in the LMC which were always hard to spot before. I will be able to make good use of those LMC charts now.

47Tuc - The number of stars that would resolve was fantastic and I could see further out to the edge also.

Jewel Box - the colours of the stars were much clearer, it really lived up to the name.

Omega Cent - The moon was up by now so I didn't get the full impact but like 47Tuc I could see so much more than with my 3" refractor.

Moon - had a quick look over the moon, still very low so lots of atmospheric disturbance but looks good for a proper study later on.

Just waiting for Saturn to get high enough for a quick look before I pack up for the night.