View Single Post
Old 13-12-2010, 12:03 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Suzy,

See you're on 999 posts -- one more for the milestone !

Excellent report mate, much enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
... For the life of me, I couldn’t understand why my daughters boyfriend could only see two stars (naked eye) I thought they were quite obvious naked eye. No matter how many times we got him to look (and apparently he has no problem with his eye sight).
Congratulations Suzy -- it probably isn't him, it's you!. This is a sign that you are already gaining experience as a visual observer. You are now calling "obvious" or "bright" things that non-astronomers are struggling to see at all. This is not a tongue in cheek comment -- I'm serious. This means your perceptions are being adjusted. In time, there are things now that you call faint that will become "fairly bright". Somewhat further down the track, you be hunting 16th magnitude galaxies and being glib about it ...

Quote:
On to Canis Major exploring around Sirius, and come across a small fuzzy patch. Don't know what this is so I will have to investigate further.
I'll back it in now that it's M41.

Quote:
The Geminids Meteor Shower. Talk about being at the right place at the right time, I had no idea about this event, and my daughter and I got a treat of three meteors within 30 mins. The first two within 10 mins. Short trails and small, yet bright. My reaction was “wow it’s a busy night for meteors tonight”.
Meteor showers can be great fun and quite spectacular at times. Best observed in a banana chair with a glass of your favourite beverage and a pair of binoculars at hand to have a sweep round the sky from time to time.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Suzy!

Best,

Les D