View Single Post
Old 31-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I viewed the Moon with my Skywatcher 70mm achromatic with 25 & 10mm silver plossl EPs, with the Moon being 82.1% illuminated. I set up on the front footpath to show any kids the Moon for their Halloween treat, but nobody has visited. Maybe I was the scariest thing out there!

The northern aspect of the Moon seems favoured by libration this evening. The Jewel Handle of Sinus Iridum is nicely seen, as well as the more northerly, large crater Herschel, J with its unusual floor; the Western floor looks rough & filled with mountains, whereas the Eastern side looks flat in comparison.

In the Central region of the terminator, just below Mare Humorum, Gassendi is seen with its central peak. In this large crater, I could also see a lesser circular wall, inside of its large outer walls.

The strangely elongated Schiller appears towards the southern end of the terminator. It always reminds me of the legendary Patrick Moore who often mentioned this odd crater in his books.

I just has another look with a 15mm Delite EP before posting this. Gosh it looked good, even with such a humble scope. Although the scope is achromatic, CA is next to invisible, which is not surprising since has a Focal ratio of 12.8.