Thread: TouUcam help.
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 11:14 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Best to set this up during daytime on a distant tree, tower etc. That makes it easier to work out what is going on. It doesn't move relative to the scope and you have daylight to see what is going on mechanically.

I hope that you are saying that as you move your focusser in, you are approaching focus, but not reaching it. You seem to be suggesting that you are still a long way from focus? I would have hoped that you were getting close - within mm to no more than a cm?

From my intitial fiddling with a webcam connected to to my reflector and what I have read, this is not an uncommon problem. You need to get the CCD chip closer to the scope.

There is one approach to allow you to check everything else is OK. If you have a barlow lens, fit it between the webcam and the focuser. You should find then that you can focus the image (magnified of course) within the focuser travel. You might be happy with that, but normally having the extra magnification of the barlow makes it very hard to get started unless you have tracking (EQ mount or EQ table or whatever) - you are at such a high magnification.

OK, so take barlow out and back to webcam only.

A second approach may be to remove any adapter and just hold the webcam up to the focusser so it is as close to the focusser as you can get it. See if you are closer to focus. It can be, however, harder to line it up well with the image.

You have to get the CCD chip closer to the scope, or the primary mirror higher up the tube.

Search threads in this site - the issue can come up before and I remember specific mention of Toucams (which bits of the casing have to come off to get it working).

The extreme solution is to cut some cm out of your tube length so the primary mirror moves closer to the secondary. I don't think we'll go there!!

I understand that, by adjusting your primary collimating screws, you can move your mirror further up the tube, maybe by a cm or so? Worth experimenting with.

However, the place to start is your toucam and adapter. Have a good look. Is there any way to get that CCD chip closer to the focusser? Is there part of the toucam casing that is preventing the adapter from screwing all the way in? Is the screw thread on the adapter "bottoming out" on the circuit board, or whatever, preventing the adapter from going further onto the toucam? Often there is a solution to be found here, but it may mean a bit of trimming of your adapter once you are sure of where to trim.

Another approach is to use a different 1.25"--2" adapter. You can purchase adapters that allow the webcam (or eyepiece - what they were designed for) to be mounted deeper in the focusser, rather than the usual that "mates" to the focusser and keeps your 1.25" device well above the focusser. There was a recent thread in which someone pointed out a supplier. I'll try to find it and add the link.

I suspect it is simply a mechanical matter and as soon as you can spot what is happening, you'll think of a solution by making adjustments (even with a knife and/or hacksaw!!)

Good luck!

ps. I was in Launceston yesterday afternoon for a few hours before I flew out - Why didn't ya call!