View Single Post
Old 19-12-2012, 11:33 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Did a fair bit of hyperstar imaging until I stripped my C11 apart for some major surgery. Just got it back together now and did some test last Wednesday which was clear(ish) in Sydney. Main issue is clear skies time at the moment.

TBH the hyperstar is great. I love it. Sure it is a little more demanding to setup but c'mon! Where else are you going to get a clear Horse head in a 30s exposure. It's a bit like solar imaging. Takes more time to setup than actually acquiring data.

I have used both an OSC (old square QHY8) in the past and recently a QHY9 mono (also square).

The obstruction is not an issue (with the C11 anyway). What's more of a problem is any straight cable or sharp angle/corner across the aperture. That will make a nice diffraction spike in no time.

So don't worry too much about the size of what you're putting in front but try to keep everything curve and avoid straight lines especially with cables.

What SCT are you using now?

PS: these are two 30s subs. collimation is pretty close but still a little off. My primary needs a tiny bit of tilt and I'm there. I don't collimate the hyperstar. It sits flat on the corrector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IC434_coll2_hs3_g1o113_lum_347_222421_clone-Scaled.jpg)
196.2 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (M42_coll2_hs3_g1o113_lum_347_220822-Scaled.jpg)
193.7 KB66 views

Last edited by multiweb; 19-12-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added test shots