View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 09:55 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

starting the grind (hopefully)

Hello,

Well I tried Supaglass Industries out in Fyshwick and they were the cheapest quotes I could find in the Canberra region. $25 for the 8" cuts and $50 for a 16" cut on the quotes, best in Canberra by a long way.

So, I drove out there in a flash last Friday as I have been reading "How to make a Telescope" by Jean Texereau for way too long without anything to work with, had my grits since Christmas after an awesome estate buy.

Just got a call today, the 203mm is cut and the 220mm is on the machine deck. Cut those from my smaller bit of glass to test the services, the 220mm is my tool.

Going to try a 8"F9.x for a test run on a 1850/1900mm or so dob, and the F9 sits well with Rayleigh's rule. With a great deal of luck my difference from sphere to parabola will be next to nothing.

Happy chappie!
Till I hit the first of many expected hurdles no doubt...
Steve
Ps. Smiling till reality sets in at least
Pps. Hopefully Covid restrictions in Sydney will be eased and I can get my dental stone powder at the end of this month. Got a Tassie holiday lined up and the shop front is only a 5k detour, which SWMBO has approved.

Quote: Got the final pricing for the two 8" cut and they had mucked up the quote. Its now $42.50 each for the 8" and $85 for the 16" after they timed it on the machine. They're matching the original quote for the two 8" blanks, which is very nice, even at the higher prices they are still the cheapest option around the Canberra region though.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 05-02-2021 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added "Quote:"