View Single Post
Old 15-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Imme (Jon)

Hope it's a winner too Rob! It can't be worse than it was in my opinion so we should be all good.

Couple of items that have popped up with the install of the new zero backlash block.

Shims - all shim measurements will need to be re-done on the RA axis as the old shims suit the old block.....if ordering the block make sure you have some shims or shim material (this is what I've done) of different thicknesses to use.

Making shims - trying to cut shims by hand resulted in a dodgy nightmare of a job. I ended up using a couple of blocks of wood and sandwiching the teflon between it before using a couple holesaws to cut the inner, then outer holes. Came up well....I used hardwood to reduce the splinter factor. Quick sand on the edges and they are as good as anything i could buy from a supplier I think.

Worm gear runout - Have people measured this or is it just a 'feels good' scenario? I've decided to be as scientific as possible with this rebuild so have spent a bit of time setting this. I currently have a measurable 0.05mm-0.08mm runout on the gears. Happy for comments by engineering types in the know re whether I should try to reduce this gap or give it a bit more play?
Note - I've took these measurements with a material temperature (fridges help here) of around 5'C which I guess is my median summer/winter imaging temp.