View Single Post
Old 21-02-2017, 05:24 PM
lynton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
If you want to go single FL eyepieces then I would suggest the ES 82 8.8 mm first. A more practical jump from the 15 mm. That would give you 136X which can be useful on moon, planets and on DSOs. Slip it into the 2X barlow and you have 272X. A more versatile combination in my opinion than the 6.7 if you can only get one right now. If you can get both then the 8.8 and the 6.7 are a great combination.
thanks this is great detailed info to work on, I am liking the ES 82 8.8 mm now.

Mostly I will be viewing from home which is polluted by street lights somewhat and once a month at the astronomy club, so the 8.8 136x seems a good first choice to me that I should still be able to use in less than ideal conditions at home.

I went to the tas astronomical society meet up last saturday and although it was not a great night for it, we still were able to find the jewel box , trapesium and some double stars to look at.

People were great and it was very educational, I was able to get a look through a pentax 14mm in my scope and compare it to my 15mm nightowl.

Whilst it looked great and was able to better split a double star in cloudly conditions (at least to my untrained eye) it wasn't all that better than my one, so I think Ill stick to the less costly EPs for now.

thanks again for all the suggestions, I will try and get a look through a zoom piece at the next meetup. They sound good in that you can pick the "right" magnification for the conditions and also save changing EPs all the time.

It would be nice to compare a zoom to a fixed EP of the same make.
If I get a chance to do this I'll post my thoughts.

Now off to see if that 8.8 ES is still there