View Single Post
Old 16-02-2017, 02:27 AM
lynton

Thumbs down f/4.7 dob eyepiece for planets

hi all, i am the proud new owner of a 10" skywalker dob that i found on gumtree for only $450. it had some extras too including some 2" eps at 15, 26, 42, 50 a 1.25" 2x barlow ( previous owner accidentally bought this as all his eps are 2" ) and a telrad target finder which i found really great to use especially locating saturn which was just a tiny spec in the sky.

I tried it out last night and as luck would have it got to see jupiter saturm and the moon, mostly through the 15mm knight owl uw80.

i now want to get an ep that will give higher magnification for planet viewing as , at least at this early stage, that is what i like the most.

from reading around it seems that with a f4.7 10" dob ,better quality eps and wide fov are desirable.

I like the look and price point of explorer scientific 82 deg 6.7mm.

i figure that this would give me 1200 / 6.7 = 180x and with the as yet unchristened barlow a whopping 360x.

the barlow is a super barlow 2x from seben.com and im wondering if i will be able to use this with an es82 or will need to get a better barlow ?

i am going along to meet with an astronomy club on saturday so im sure i will get some great advise and hopefully even get a look through some eps.

but i just thought id post this here in case someone has this ep with a 10" f4.7 dob and can tell me how well or not it works and whether an average barlow is ok with it.

any other suggestions are welcome too perhaps smaller / larger mag is better ? its a push to scope so l am a little worried about being able to keep up at high mag.

cheers

lynton