View Single Post
Old 28-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Solar (Ralph Smith)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
Nice one Ralph, what sized aperture scope was this taken with?

I got my timings from Darryl (aka Kokatha Man) who normally frequents Cloudy Nights, his images of the planets are amongst the best I've seen from an earth based telescope (although your Saturn is right up there ). He uses a 14" SCT and his website is here .

I guess that whatever works for you the correct answer on how long to capture for, there's no doubt that your result is first rate. Could you share a little more on your capture technique, eg camera used, scope etc?

I took about 5x5 minute captures of Saturn on the night I took this one, so I guess I could go back and re-process all of these videos, de-rotate them in WJ and see what difference there is. I could also split each of them up into 10 x 150 sec videos and do the same thing .

It's probably worth doing just as practice for next season, I thought my WJ days were past me, but if there's extra detail to be had ...

Thanks again, Andrew
It is well worth persisting with WJ. It is the only thing that makes imaging possible here because of the seeing. I use a Meade 12inch. Data is acquired with FireCapture. Then to AS3 next is WinJupos, on to RegiStax6 and finish with PS6. I have really only be serious about planetary for two years and look forward to this season. Really only looked at solar before that.
web is www.eyesonthesun.com.au
The first shot of Jupiter is with ASI 224MC and the second with ASI 290MC.
Seeing was only average both, hence the value WJ. BTW seeing was no better for the Saturn shot either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2725 (3) copy.jpg)
6.9 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (Hue copy.jpg)
39.7 KB40 views