View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Thanks Glen, yeah it’s relatively new, I’ve been trying to tame it on and off but getting nowhere fast.

I’ll need to get the measurements checked in daylight. I’ll also have to back-off the secondary screws, they seemed to need to be tight to stop the secondary flopping around like a rabbits ear when slewing.

Having almost relied on the laser in early attempts, last night I had ditched it and resorted to the cap for aligning the secondary, but to be fair I can’t tell the difference once darkness falls. I had been using Astro Baby’s - and others - material as reference, to try to figure out where I could have gone wrong.

This is my first newt, but at the same time collimation isn’t a new concept...just there are double the adjustments! I wouldn’t rule out it being a nice scope if I could be sure the collimation was good, but it might just take a little investment in time and money to get it right. I’m resigned to that. Despite the stars, the detail in and around the Keyhole was the kind of upgrade I was looking for over my apo.

It’s a journey! There just aren’t enough clear nights to try every combination