View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilbrook@rbe.ne View Post
Beautiful image Rick!

Must say I really like the Hubbleish colours.

Cheers,

Justin.
Thanks, Justin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Superb, Rick. Wow at first sight.
And thanks, Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Yes, high wow factor, impressive and rare for us.
Very kind of you Fred, being one of the masters of high wow factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Magnificent Rick.

May i ask, only if you have spare time - what is the difference between the drizzled and non-drizzled version? could you post or pm a non-D'd version? I'm asking as I'm expecting delivery of a Sony A7s astro modded camera soon, and am worried that its large pixels (8.4nm) may mean that I'll also need to drizzle, but am unsure as to how small the issue will be (eg the tiniest stars frankly won't matter imho...)

Your work is most inspirational.
Thanks, Simon.

I have attached a crop of the original Drizzled image and a downsampled version which is at the original resolution. This is cheating a little but close to what you'd see from a non-Drizzle version (in reality the non-Drizzle version would be slightly inferior with stars a little more square.)

Drizzle is only useful when the scope/camera combination is significantly undersampled. At SRO the seeing is exceptional, often down near 1 arcsecond so this is easy to achieve with our image scale which is around 2 arcsec/pixel. TANSTAAFL, of course, and Drizzle does trade off noise for resolution so you need more data too.

What focal length will you be using with the Sony?

BTW, someone told me that the small area of dark neb looks like a bear

Cheers,
Rick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SH2_199_v6-crop.jpg)
60.5 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (SH2_199_v6-crop-halfres.jpg)
114.4 KB22 views