View Single Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:52 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I'm not an expert on this by any stretch of the imagination but it makes good sense to me. One of the advantages of video astro photography is that artefacts can be managed when the image stream is stacked so your problem in that regard may not be as bad as first thought.
Many retail webcams have been modified for astro purposes as you know and everytime a new, higher res or more sensitive model is released the first we hear of it is that someone is attempting astro mods to see how it goes.
I've looked at various industrial type webcams with an eye to conversion with their stated low light sensitivity being the crucial factor. can't see any reason why they shouldn't work given the right setup.

Looks like you've got yourself a project. Come up with a good build and they'll be knocking on your door.

I've gone down the 'DSLR and DSO' path astrophotgraphically but I have several modded webcams I keep meaning to find time to try some lunar or planetary imaging with. My DSLR has hires vid so it may even be pressed into action. Keep us posted.