View Single Post
Old 21-09-2009, 10:23 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
All this has got me totally confussed. I just treat the the QHY8 as a 16bit DSLR, which it is. That means it can take longer exposures without saturating star colour and since it's cooled, darks are not as important. As for subtracting this bias file from that flat file etc etc , I wouldn't know how to do it, nor does the software I use. I just load everthing into DSS as I was doing with the canon, tell DSS it's a QHY8 and go. I must admit I've only shot a handful of images with it but I've never had a problem either.
Whether it's a QHY8 or a DSLR the process is the same. I did follow the same procedure when imaging with my Pentax *istD. Calibration is something that helps getting the most out of your hard earned data. Bit of reading goes a long way. I used DSS in the past and it confused the hell out of things because I didn't understand how it worked or how I could control things. To me it's a black box. You shove a lot of subs, flats and darks and you get something on the other end. Sometime it works, sometime it doesn't. CCDStack was a giant leap because it forces you to understand what you're doing, not just pushing buttons.