View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Suzy_A

Yes, try BOC. CIG also use to make it up.

The last time I had some made up was a long time ago.... The problem these daze is you buy the gas for $100 and then they charge you $300 a year or more for the cylinder 'rental'.

What can be done with gas is buy a few new LPG cylinder (they are $35 from Bunnings) and then transfer the gas over and return the BOC cylinder. Of course you have to take into account that the BOC cylinder is at 2000 psi and the LPG is only about 300 or so (need the check what they are rated at... and also have a gauge on the LPG to check that you don't overpressureise it), so you need 10x the volume of LPG cylinders. You also need to flush out any air from the LPG cylinder - I use a vacuum pump and then fill it with the gas and then suck it all out again before filling it properly.

I just had a look at a small O2 cylinder here - it's about 12 cm diameter and 40 cm high and holds 2.2 litres at 16.6 MPa (2300 psi). From memory, a BBQ type LPG cylinder is about 20 L and is tested to .. about 3 MPa(???) and rated to about 1.5 MPa??? (about 225 psi). So allowing for a few losses while flushing, the gas from this little cylinder should just fit in a LPG cylinder. Of course, your not actually allowed to do this....