View Single Post
Old 21-01-2016, 02:21 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thanks to everyone for a great set of responses. The guidescope is currently sat at the post office awaiting collection, so I may get a chance to try it tonight.

Bill, your post show the typical PHD output is very useful. I may even PM you when I get down to the nitty gritty of configuring it.

Previously I have always used the Orion ST 80 for guiding but then I bought a Tak baby Q which I mounted atop my 152mm in the observatory with a view to using it as a smaller imaging scope. Until now however the TAK has been used for nothing except guiding
The most expensive guide scope on the planet!

The motivation then for the Orion was something I could replace the existing finder with to free up both scopes for imaging as and when. I ike the idea that the Orion guidescope will attach directly to the finder foot. I have a Starlight Instruments focuser which has a finder connection point which I presume is a standard one that Orion will also fit. If it doesn't there will be pain.

The mount is an EQ8 Pro so long as I can really tightly secure it to the focuser there should be no movement. Worse case scenario is I only use it to guide for the Tak, which is only 450mm FL but it would be cool if it works for the 900mm FL 152mm too.

I have attached a photo of the setup and you can clearly see the APM 50mm finder which would be replaced by the Orion 50mm f3.2. The lodestar and Orion X-Y shifter is on the TAK at the moment as you can jus about see.

Worst, worst case scenario is that I have spent another $269 on another piece of unused kit

I'll reply to this thread when I have some results.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image3 - Copy.JPG)
145.1 KB21 views