View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 03:23 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Nice use of limited space. One of my balconies is about the same size. I would imagine you have problems with stray light, especially with an open tube scope? I usually hang towels everywhere to block it out unless I'm observing the Moon.
Glad you like my set up, Morton.
The limited space is the major reason I use a tabletop Dobsonian.
The secondary reason is the scope has to be one I can manage to carry up and down the stairs here. No elevators. At my block of flats, ground floor is garages/laundries, and the top 2 floors are flats. I'm on the top floor. A 150mm solid tube Dobsonian would simply be too big and heavy for me to get up/down the stairs, safely.

Stray light is rarely an issue. I occasionally notice it when someone drives in or out of the block, but that's it.
No. The real problem I have is all the sports fields about 500 or so metres east of my block of flats, and the floodlights of those sports fields which is the problem, as while I try to spot what few targets are eyeball visible in a Bortle 8 sky, I'm also looking straight at those floodlights. My patio/balcony is east facing, and those floodlights are on pretty well every night of the year.