View Single Post
Old 27-11-2012, 03:19 PM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Hi Terry,

Here's my feedback

Your observing LOCATION: Mareeba
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? No bad congestion from Cairns, except for heavy traffic at about 5 PM on the 13th of Nov.
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? Observed from Kerribee Park, Mareeba. Big place, with crowd of about 50-70 people spread out all over the place.
Access to WEATHER info? TV News and Weather.com. Good enough for me to make last minute decision
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? Yes. Original plan was at Port Douglas. Then decided to go either Ellis Beach or Palm Cove. However after hearing tv weather news at about 3 PM on the 13th Nov, we decided to go inland to Mareeba
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? We brought along our own Eclipse glasses. Did not see anyone handling additional glasses at the observing site
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? Last minute change to Mareeba. Upon arriving there, no more hotels are available. So we have to go down to Atherthon , where there's only 1 room left!
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? No
What could have been managed better? Local authorities should provide more information for tourist regarding location, traffics, transportation on site. I have to depend mostly on internet and self survey, the day or two before the eclipse
Anything that went well that you want to comment on? ….
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? A nice place to hang around and visit. However I can't find any clear indication like parking space for publics, road closure signage. So for people visiting like me, it's a bit confusing and have to depends on the internet and website
ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? Malaysia.
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? Independent traveler (with wife)
Previous eclipse experience (totals) first eclipse, 1 - 5, 5+, etc? 2 (2006 in Turkey, 2009 in China)