View Single Post
Old 25-11-2012, 10:23 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

2012 Eclipse your FEEDBACK NEEDED

Now that the eclipse is over and hopefully everyone is safely home, I would really appreciate your feedback on your 2012 eclipse experience.
As many of you know I was involved in providing information, advice and assistance to local authorities, Government Departments, the media etc on aspects of the eclipse that are of interest to astronomers, umbraphiles and the public as well as coordination of an eclipse education program for Queensland schools.
Can I please have any and all feedback on your eclipse experience from the perspective of how effectively local authorities, the Queensland government and emergency services prepared for this event and any impact this may have had on your eclipse experience. This will assist with a post event evaluation being conducted later this week and be especially useful for the authorities involved so that they can hopefully improve major event management in the future (unfortunately not for an eclipse!) and lessons learnt may be useful for eclipse preparations in other areas.
You can either respond on this thread or send a message direct to me (Click on my "AstroTourist" tag above and select "Send a private message" or "Send an email"). After I have responses, I will post a summary of comments. No one will be identified, and I will not pass on your response to anyone else.
To assist here are some suggested questions. Just copy and paste in your message and put your responses after each question or feel free to comment on just those things you think may be helpful. Please don’t hold back.

Your observing LOCATION: ….
Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? …….
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? …..
Access to WEATHER info? ....
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? ….
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? …
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? …..
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? ……
What could have been managed better? …..
Anything that went well that you want to comment on? ….
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? ….
ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? …..
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? ….
Previous eclipse experience (totals) first eclipse, 1 - 5, 5+, etc? …..

Thanks very much for your comments & regards,
Terry Cuttle