View Single Post
Old 31-07-2023, 02:23 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Thanks for the comments Leo, I just sort of wrote a "memory dump" of what I have been doing with my RC8 that may be of benefit to others considering such things or perhaps dissatisfied with their scope's performance. The RC family can be quite cantankerous.
I've commented in the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Sorry, I have an RC 8 and am completely ignorant in operations as I haven't had it out much (weather and health).
What does the adapter in the image do? That's a 3d printed version of the rear adaptor to decouple the imaging train from the mirror assembly, there's a second pic that shows one sitting on the rear of the OTA, minus the imaging train that would screw on to it. I think it could still be simplified further with a little thought, perhaps just a round disc instead of the arms, or even a small threaded upper disc and a lower attachment disc, welded together, There's not really much of any precision apart from the three bolt holes and the thread. It should be doable on a lathe.

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...8&d=1690772476

I have seen mention of some person in America who manufactures stronger focus holders or whatever it is, instead of the focuser mounting directly on the mirror. He machines them himself and recommends anyone interested send their rear plate to him in The U.S.A., he do the modifications and ship it back for assembly. To me that would be a very expensive option but I'm thinking of having an engineer friend machine something similar of my own design (when I get to it). Yes, I have a picture of that one from Cloudy Nights, but it's very involved and as you said, probably quite expensive to replicate.

I understand the focuser can distort the primary mirror, hence the design and implementation of such devices but do they make a great deal of difference? Probably not, but hey, it's just a hobby, so I'll try it anyway. Great bragging rights, too

I guess that's also dependent on intended use.
My intended use is photography (Astro) so I'm guessing it would be a worthwhile mod. Only thing it may hurt is the wallet....

Your GSO focuser is that the earlier model with a flat centre (where the autofocus motor plate mounts and lock screw is) or the later version which is a steel track type design, 47 little steel balls running in each track?
I replaced the steel balls in one spare focuser I have with ceramic. The original mechanism was a little worn, the ceramic balls have made the focuser much smoother but it was an absolute pain to do. I have enough ceramic balls for the primary focuser but don't think I'll go to the bother at this time. Earlier model, my scope's about 10 years old. My problem was mainly the focuser bracket attachment and related screw pressure, because the bottom plate is slightly curved and I'm a lousy craftsman.

I love the slide off shed and the use of the stump to support it and an old battery keeping it in place as an anchor (strap down point). My kind of engineering, making use of what I already have laying around. One of the benefits of rural life:)