View Single Post
Old 31-07-2023, 01:44 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Sorry, I have an RC 8 and am completely ignorant in operations as I haven't had it out much (weather and health).
What does the adapter in the image do?

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...8&d=1690772476

I have seen mention of some person in America who manufactures stronger focus holders or whatever it is, instead of the focuser mounting directly on the mirror. He machines them himself and recommends anyone interested send their rear plate to him in The U.S.A., he do the modifications and ship it back for assembly. To me that would be a very expensive option but I'm thinking of having an engineer friend machine something similar of my own design (when I get to it).
I understand the focuser can distort the primary mirror, hence the design and implementation of such devices but do they make a great deal of difference?

I guess that's also dependent on intended use.
My intended use is photography (Astro) so I'm guessing it would be a worthwhile mod.

Your GSO focuser is that the earlier model with a flat centre (where the autofocus motor plate mounts and lock screw is) or the later version which is a steel track type design, 47 little steel balls running in each track?
I replaced the steel balls in one spare focuser I have with ceramic. The original mechanism was a little worn, the ceramic balls have made the focuser much smoother but it was an absolute pain to do. I have enough ceramic balls for the primary focuser but don't think I'll go to the bother at this time.

I love the slide off shed and the use of the stump to support it and an old battery keeping it in place as an anchor (strap down point). My kind of engineering, making use of what I already have laying around.