View Single Post
Old 18-01-2020, 12:24 AM
torsion (Bram)

Haha, that is funny Rob, you did a much better packaging job than I did.

I used my daughters BBC Micro:bit board and programmed it with the latest sketch (with the capital 'O' characters instead of zero's, which had me going crazy), and now it is working great. I selected the appropriate pin on the Micro:bit, and added one of the onboard LED to represent the brightness for some human feedback.

Although I ordered a 12V LED panel (ebay $45), I received a 5V version including a 2A USB charger. I pulled it apart and at full brightness the little control board provides ~3.6V to the LEDs, so then I thought to use the 3.3V of the Micro:bit, powered from the USB connection to the computer. This may not give me the maximum brightness, but I think that is ok.

My internal panel wiring is slightly different than in Rob's video, from the original control PCB it provides power to the LEDs going in two directions, up and down, so hence there are two pair of power lead coming out of my panel.

I also used the XC-4488 from Jaycar. The Vin is connected to a 3.3V test point on the Micro:bit (hence the green wire coming out of nowhere on the board), while the 'SIG, Vcc and GND control inputs' are from the IO pins. There is a 3V pin, which I use as the Vcc control input. I tried to use that pin for the mosfet Vin, however when connected, the panel is not as bright. Not sure why that is.

I tested it in N.I.N.A. and that seems to work ok.

All in all, it is working great and now I will see to run it with my scope.

Attached are a few photos and the sketch for the BBC Micro:bit board and has some comments and links on how to set it all up (it doesn't have the PWM frequency mod).

cheers,
Bram
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0693a.jpg)
96.1 KB95 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0696a.jpg)
185.3 KB103 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0695a.jpg)
140.7 KB91 views
Attached Files
File Type: zip uLEDLightBoxAlnitakV2.ino.zip (2.9 KB, 39 views)