View Single Post
Old 14-12-2019, 09:10 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

There seems to be very little by way of mono in the pipeline.

So, it looks like my read of it is not wrong. The lowest gain of both cameras is a little over unity (If you consider unity to be 1e=1ADU count) and the differences from there is more or less where in the systems range they have decided to put themselves. In one way you could say that the sensors noise profile is not better than the IMX294, at around the lowest gain of this new sensor you have about 3.4e read noise where the IMX294 has 1.7e.

I would have to say though that this one looks like a case in point for my original question. At the lowest gain (Which is pretty much equivalent to 120 gain on the 294 where the noise drops to 1.7e) the 16 bit ADC allows for 50ke before the system is saturated where the 14 bits of the 294 is toast at 16K. It has around a full stop more dynamic range than the 294 like for like gain wise. More important for me is the absolute range available as IMO, talking in stops can be misleading, the read noise floor might be near 4e at nearest to unity on the 2600 versus 1.7e for the 294, which gives the 294 a 1 stop advantage (Relatively speaking) but pretty much everything I am looking for is still going to be comfortably above the read noise and mid brightness stars should fall well within the 50ke mark and look much nicer rather than be saturated. Time will tell when people start actually getting their hands on the ASI2600 and the QHY268C and get some images out there. The fact that they seem to have very little to nothing by way of glows is also good, though I have never had an issue calibrating them out on the 294.

I would love to buy one early but finances say I am not going to be an early adopter.

Last edited by The_bluester; 14-12-2019 at 09:41 PM.