View Single Post
Old 16-01-2021, 11:21 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Question Ongoing RC10 issues - need help/suggestions

My GSO RC10 (carbon fibre tube) has had some problems for a while now - I have a go at trying to fix it occasionally but with no luck. A long time ago, it was great, but Something Happened (maybe during our house move) and it hasn't been really usable since then.

Here's a cropped image from the middle of the image:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cropped-bad-stars1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	270727

Jpeg compression has ruined things a bit, but I think it's still possible to see the bad star shapes.

Here's a near focus image of a star:

Name:	near-focus.png
Views:	24
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	270728

Out of focus star, inwards focus:

Name:	out-of-focus-inwards.png
Views:	19
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	270730

Out of focus star, outwards focus:

Name:	out-of-focus-outwards.png
Views:	23
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	270731

Bright star, uncropped image (just massively resized), 5 sec exposure for the donut. Am I right in assuming that the donut should be centered on the star and not offset?

Name:	offset-donut.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	270732

I've tried a number of things now, with some making a bit of difference, but others I suspect may have made things worse. I need suggestions or ideas on where to proceed from here.

What I know or have been able to eliminate in the process:
* It's not a camera issue - I've tried 2 different cameras.
* It's not a focuser issue - I've had 2 different focusers that give the same result, plus I can use the tak collimating scope with or without the focuser and it gives the same result
* Fairly certain there's no other real tilt that can come into play. And if so, with all my adjustments taking things on/off, I doubt I could replicate things 100%.
* PA is good, certainly good enough for at least 30 sec unguided at this focal length.
* For all these images, there's no flatteners/reducers in the image train.

What I have done (for good or bad):

* It's been partially taken apart. I go desperate enough to do it to check if there were any issues with the primary, so I took it off the tube to look. Nothing obvious. The secondary has also been unscrewed and checked - nothing obvious there.
* I got in contact with GSO for the exact length required between primary and secondary. I think I am very close to that figure - maybe a few mms either way. (It's difficult, because of the stupid way the distance is measured.)
* I have used a tak collimating scope and it seems the secondary was "nicely" aligned.
* I have done adjustments using the stars as well (taking images - my eyesight sucks a bit for visual).
* There's a few other things that have been tried as well, but overall, no luck.

Any ideas? Maybe I need to get a "professional" to look at the scope and fix it?