View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Mills - no way would I try and magic wand out that many red flecks - it would take hours per frame! I think I am processing things in a very crude way...

I did not expect a simple fix, so let me ask another question.

Should I allow Deep Sky Stacker to combine shots of different durations or should I do runs of equal duration lights in DSS and stack them in Photoshop via layers and clever combines?

The other option to consider is should I graduate beyond DSS and start learning and using CCDStack?

Lets say I image NGC 2070 and have a set of light frames, four each of 600, 900 and 1,200 seconds duration. I have BIAS, flat whites (1/100 sec) flat darks (1/100 sec) and master darks (tifs created from 20 dark frames matching each light frame).

Does it help me in any way to do one run of DSS with 12 light frames and the three matching darks - or am I better off for some reason to execute three seperate DSS runs using light frames of only one duration to produce three corrected masters 600 secs, 900 secs and 1,200 secs and then combine these 3 corrected master shots in Photoshop?

I also out of interest tried combining just four shots - to 10 minutes shots and two 15 minute shots - so 50 minutes in total, with all flats, darks and bias combined - the result is below. Which looks to my eye much better.

Maybe I was adding some shots with too much noise and likely I have to process the dim data in much more effective ways. Looks like this is my next big learning curve!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 2070 00 hr 50 mn small.jpg)
134.0 KB14 views