View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
Here is Craig's summary (He reviewed the starfish and the Q guide in the same article)
"
Conclusions
I have used both cameras for several months now, with each getting a number of nights of guide-duty. Both have functioned as advertised and guided my mount well. The relatively large monochrome sensor used has made finding and locking onto guide stars a painless process using my 66 mm guide scope. Despite both using the same sensor and being both being designed as guiders, comparing them for the purpose of choosing between the two is an apples-andoranges situation. The Starfish is cleaner and more versatile. Even when guiding, the effect of
cooling and the onboard noise reduction show through to provide a cleaner image of the star field and to guide on slightly fainter stars. The Starfish also works perfectly on my Mac. While I've not tried DSO or planetary imaging with it, I've seen a number of very nice images in both categories. It's also nearly four times as expensive as the QGuide. If you're looking for a basic guider that is nicely up to the task of guiding your mount, the QGuide is hard to beat. It's compact, inexpensive, sensitive, has onboard guider outputs, and just plain works. It's an order of magnitude better as a
guide camera than even long-exposure modified webcams or cameras like a Meade LPI or Celestron NexImage. The nice thing is, we've now got two more excellent choices when shopping around for cameras"
Thanks very much

Pete