View Single Post
Old 21-06-2020, 10:28 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

All the current ones (As far as I know) will in theory run at 12V but mine (7th gen I5) started reboot looping on me so I went back to it's 19V supply and it stopped misbehaving. I have just bought a DC-DC converter off ebay to get 19VDC from my 12V system and had my first successful night with it, so that is another option. I wanted it all running off the DC system so that everything is capable of running off my backup battery, the power supply is not greatly reliable where I live with plenty of bumps and short outages, and star parties I have lost time like everyone else to a CB trip or someone tripping over a cord in the dark. I never did but I would hate to loose a nights imaging to a six second outage for an auto reclose on the HV feeder to our place, ods on it would be just after I go to bed.

Come to think of it I should increase the size of my backup battery, in the fire danger period an outage can often be a lot longer as if something trips out the new REFCL setup they will generally do a drive out line inspection before re energising. I should use something the size of a motorcycle battery that would run the gear for hours rather than a little AGM gate opener battery.