Thread: EQ6 goto views
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2007, 10:16 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Great Feedback guys

I was just beggining to believe I was the only one out there with issues trying to guide at long fl.

I had the EQ6 goto on my shortlist but having reviewed the feedback at the time - the non-upgradeable contoller, poor mechanical quality and the need to refurbish the (new!) mount before it could be used etc etc I sacrificed load carrying capacity for low PE and chose a Vixen Sphinx. I was under the impression that the new, white PRO versions had addressed the issues above. Now I am much happier I went for the Vixen - I could not afford a Losmandy/Gemini.

Now the Vixen mount is far from perfect - eg no PEC in the controller (supposed to be in the next firmware release) - but most issues are minor niggles and the new version the SXD has a higher load capacity and PEC so it may be an option for those who would previously have gone for an EQ6. The original SX does have quite high DEC backlash - mine is about 4s and it also suffers from some stiction so DEC guiding is really only possible in one direction but this is not really a problem.

PE is about 20" peak to peak.

BTW if you are getting 2" are you not at the limits anyway due to typical seeing?