Thread: EQ6 goto views
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 AM
garymck (Gary)

As a current owner of an eq-6, I would say avoid the current bunch like the plague if you plan on imaging. In the last 6 months I have had experience of 5 of them (a looooooooong story) only the first was any good. It was an black one that I had to sell due to financial difficulties (another member of iis bought it) it was wonderful 12 arc sec total pe!! Soon after I was able to buy a version 3 white eq-6 "pro". This mount could be described as a piece of crap (55 arc sec pe!!!). I don't want to go into details of the problems and attempted resolutions of them but the current one has 35 arc secs pe, and is unable to take GUIDED images at 1200mm focal length without trailing stars. (and yes - I've tried PHD, Guidedog and Maxim). 2 arc sec rms guiding is the BEST I can get..........sucks if your image scale is 1.5 arc secs/pixel................

I've just finished another night fruitlessly trying a variety of settings to get the thing working. I've used the handcontroller, and EQ-Mod .

If you are strictly visual, then the pointing is good.

Ask yourself why have a pile of version 3 eq-6's been up for sale on IIS since the beginning of January. I wonder if they had similar problems?

Forgive the rant - I just don't want anyone else to waste their money....

cheers
gary