View Single Post
Old 22-04-2008, 12:04 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
How so Steve?
Does this mean if I shoot my happy snaps in RAW format there would be no need for a CWB of filter?
Doug

ps... found an explanation!

Raw files have not had while balance set. They are tagged with whatever the camera's setting was, (either that which was manually set or via auto-white-balance), but the actual data has not been changed. This allows one to set any colour temperature and white balance one wishes after the fact with no image degradation. It should be understood that once the file has been converted from the linear space and has had a gamma curve applied (such as in a JPG) white balance can no longer be properly done.
Doug, that's a good summation of RAW file WB, that's why shooting in RAW is a big advantage for terrestrial (if you take a small amount of shots), if you do a big run it gets time consuming so I shoot in both RAW and jpg, so I can go through and edit all the good RAWs and keep the rest as jpgs too.
Of course you still need to have your settings well reasonably adjusted because RAW is not a silver bullet.
In astro using RAW gives you better latitude in bringing out finer detail because of the bigger dynamic range you have to play with.

I had a go at adjusting the WB in CS2 of the image you posted too.
It's amazing the hidden detail even in such a small jpg file.

In CS3 you can do a batch WB conversion on a bunch of images with similar conditions such as similar outdoor shots by opening all the images you want to adjust, then doing the WB conversion as in this example, then dragging the adjustment layer on to each individual image.
The correction you applied to the first will subsequently be applied to the rest.
Makes it quiet straight forward to use a modded camera then for terrestrial shots too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (mod-WB.jpg)
121.4 KB36 views