View Single Post
Old 20-11-2019, 12:52 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
but... get yourself a sharpie pen and blacken the interior - the scattered light from the inside of the tube is atrocious.
Wavy brought along his 10" to my place a couple of weeks ago, and we did a drag race with it an my 7" Intes Deluxe. The 10" really dwarfs the Intes.

Seeing was terrible, so a resolution comparison was not possible - but not as anticlimatic as one might think...

What it allowed us to do was look at another aspect - the image contrast measured by the sort of internal baffling of each scope.

The subject was the Moon. To make it an equal match, the same eyepiece was used, a modest 2" 38mm 70° - the same as the Orion Q70. The focal length of each scope is actually nearly identical as a tick under (Intes) or over (10") 3000mm, so any difference in magnification is insignificant and of no consequence.

The internals of the 10" Nick has posted a photo of, which is designed and manufactured by APM. The Intes has a series of internal baffles on the inside of the OTA (see pic - corrector plate removed to better show the baffle rings).

The difference was staggering!

The "Black" around the Moon in the Intes was washed out, like a very, very deep grey. The 10", the same image of the Moon, and the "Black" was decidedly BLACKER!

The contrast provided by the Intes say compared to my Meade SCT is markedly better. But this 10" Mak, it is a totally different beast. Both Nick and I were left astounded at the difference. Same EP, same magnification, totally different result.

Wavy's photo showing the internal structures of the 10" hide something special that only Matthias knows about. Looks are very deceiving!

Whatever Matthias has done to the internals of that scope, it is just staggering the degree of contrast that scope has!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Intes 715 Deluxe.jpg)
129.1 KB93 views
Click for full-size image (CPC mod (1) - Copy.JPG)
59.0 KB98 views
Click for full-size image (20191003_201940_resized.jpg)
109.7 KB115 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 20-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.