View Single Post
Old 15-09-2015, 02:04 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I've never tried this approach but it seems very complicated for what you are trying to achieve - polar alignment and accurate pointing with a temporary setup of an EQ6.

PHD2 has an excellent drift alignment wizard that achieves very accurate alignment quite quickly and it is free. It will probably take you 15 minutes to read the instructions and 30 minutes to achieve alignment the first time out. The most complicated bit is adjusting the EQ6 altitude as the mechanism doesn't offer very fine control and tends to overshoot. I purchased Pempro for drift alignment but actually prefer PHD2 as it is far easier to use.

For pointing accuracy there are various free platesolving solutions that achieve excellent results with almost no setup once the image scale is entered. I no longer bother creating a 2/3 star pointing model for my EQ6 - just slew to approximate location, plate solve and one more slew and the object is centred on the CCD.

Creating a Tpoint model with 10's/100's of stars for a temporary setup with a mass produced mount seems like overkill. In my trade we'd call that "polishing a turd".

Just my thoughts.