View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 06:36 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrobserver99 View Post
Anyone know if the eclipse will be visible from the Cairns Esplanade? I seem to remember a high mountain just across the inlet that could block the view?
On my trip to the eclipse path last November, I took the first attached image from the Cairns esplanade (16d 54m 55s S, 145d 46m 25s E) in the direction of the sun at eclipse time. The sun will definitely rise over the Cape and the partial phase of the eclipse will have started by the time the sun rises over the hill. At first contact (start of the partial phase) the sun will be at about one and a half degrees elevation and about 14 degrees at totality. The hills are of the order of 4 or 5 degrees depending where on the esplanade you are.
In contrast the second image is from Palm Cove beach just opposite the council caravan park (16d 44m 25s S, 145d 40m 18s E) . This image is taken at the time of first contact on 14 November (2009 not 2012 - but the sun's position will be almost exactly the same). You can see that the Cape is to the right. You need to be on the northern beaches to avoid the cape if you want to see the eclipse from first contact.
You can also see that the sky is clear except for a band of cloud just in the wrong position. This cloud was present most mornings at this time and appeared to be over the reef, I guess because of the increased moisture in the atmosphere with waves breaking over the reef. As the air warmed over the next hour it generally disappeared, but the damage at C1 would have been done!
Rgds,
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Cairns Esplanade 19Nov09 Terry Cuttle.jpg)
69.5 KB229 views
Click for full-size image (Palm Cove 0543 14Nov09 Terry Cuttle.jpg)
50.6 KB258 views