View Single Post
Old 13-01-2021, 09:38 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

The ArgonOne M1 and M2 use a softswitch to power on the Pi. The Power bank usually does not turn on when it up against a minimum load at startup. I have the ARGONone M1 and will be upgrading to an M2 later. The soft switch will require a constant voltage current sink of a minimum current level to run it and I don't think the power bank can sense it, so it effectively think there is nothing connected and turns off or never turn on the 5V properly.

I am consider getting a QC or PD Power Bank and buy a trigger that senses the voltage required and immediately switches it to the right voltage and current. I can then supply up to 20V when needed.

There are 20Ahr/20000mAhr that have QC 3.0 or PD so for me I hope to run everything of the power bank. Still investigating it though, looking for any issues before spending the dough.

You might be able to disable the softswitch and start it up. I have not checked but it may have a way of disabling the softswitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Beware the power supply.
I recently bought a Powertech MB3806 - a 15600 mAh supply to run a new Pi4(8GB) board with Stellarmate. It purports to supply the USB -C with 3 Amps. I use it with a Pi 3B and a Pi4(4GB) with no issues. The Pi4(4) is in a sexy case with dual fans and is booting off a SSD. But I bought a sexy special case to go with the 8(8) - one with a good fan and a built-in M.2 SSD. ARGONone M.2. It’s a great case and the Pi runs beautifully on it BUT when I try to run it on the Powertech, it refuses to boot. After much backward and forward with Core Electronics, we have isolated the cause to the active cooling fan which seems to draw an unacceptable amount of power from the Pi at boot. As Core told me, the Pi will settle to run on less once its booted but it needs the whhole bag at boot.

Pity because I wanted to run this as a remote system at the scope and do the whole thing on battery. So read the specs on your powervsupply closely.