View Single Post
Old 30-04-2018, 06:43 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilcreek View Post
Hello folks!

I'm the astrophotography section head at Mount Burnett Observatory in Victoria. We're a large community astronomical society and we are on an historical site with a former Monash University telescope and dome.

My goal is to make astrophotography a major activity at MBO and to use society resources to provide support for members to practice their astrophotography. The site is on old farmland and the ground is quite uneven. All of us spend a good portion of our setup time levelling our tripods and getting them pointed roughly South.

I would like to be able to construct a series of powered telescope pads with firm, level surfaces with North/South lines marked to speed up setup and make it more comfortable to use. What would the best way to go about this?

I originally considered using 1x1m pavers, but couldn't find any of that size, and I worry that individual pavers would tilt/separate over time. I have thought about pouring cement but since the land is leased they may have to be removed at some point, and I also worry about radiant heat after a sunny day.

What kind of material would you recommend for a firm, stable pad which could be removed with relative ease, not affect seeing, be comfortable to use and stay level?

MBO astrophotographers will thank you for your advice!
Hello Neil,

Given the parameters you specified: size, flatness, stability etc... you should go for concrete (1m x 1m Pad) and put up with some difficulty if removal is required sometime in future years ( a couple of guys and a few hours with a jack hammer and bin). Concrete paving slabs tend to max out at around 600mm square x 40 thick, which is not going to do it for you for a typical astro tripod base size.

If you're concerned about heat build up - You could do it Greek Style ..... paint the concrete white (and keep it clean) to increase reflectance / decrease absorptivity. Even go crazy and try a space blanket or reflective pad cover which you could remove in the early evening at setup time.

Best
JA