View Single Post
Old 20-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Luca.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
Hi Luca,

Apologies for taking your thread in a somewhat different direction... so I hope that the digression threw up something of interest to you.

It's perfectly normal to be "quite confused", as you say - even after buying a telescope or two! As others have said above, there's no single perfect answer as the different mounts and telescope designs all have their pros and cons.

There's a good pair of articles in the stickies at the top of this forum - Article 1 and Article 2, which cover a lot of the aspects. Worth a read.

When I started (a whole 3 months ago!) by far the hardest thing for me was simply finding my way around the sky. When i looked through a telescope what I could see was a whole lot busier and more complex than what i could see with the naked eye, or on basic star charts. So I was glad that my first scope was a basic fairly low powered refractor. I still couldn't see, for instance, the whole of the Southern Cross, only a part of it at one time. But at least everything was "the right way up" so I was able to slowly get the hang of navigating through star hopping.

What scope you buy first depends a lot on your priorities. Mine was to learn more about the layout of the skies first, before diving into deep space object and/or astrophotography. So a basic refractor with a simple alt-az mount was a good choice - easy to carry about, easy to set up (open tripod and start viewing, no real setup to do) and easy to use. It even works with a camera attached. Then, as i got more familiar with navigating I bought a more powerful telescope.... and got lost all over again...

But it's a great hobby and whatever you choose will have more plusses than minusses.

Good luck with it.

Cheers.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your welcome and please no need to apologise for the (further) discussions you guys have been having...actually I've read them all, it's a great occasion to learn more!

As of the scope, I really don't want to rush things and make the wrong decision wasting money.

What is your second telescope?