View Single Post
Old 17-01-2015, 03:54 PM
DavidLJ (David)

Best exposure time for narrowband imaging?

I'm planning my first foray into narrowband imaging taking the Rosette Nebula as my target. But I'm having difficulty in deciding what exposure time to use. I understand that it is inevitable that narrowband exposures will generally require more exposure time than the LRGB filters that I have been using up to now. With 3 narrowband filters for the Hubble palette and, say, 6 subframes for each filter the total integration time increases by a factor of 18 for each additional minute of exposure time. Therefore the total integration time for a 5 minute exposure would be 1.5 hours. For a 10 minute exposure it would be 3 hours. For a 15 minute exposure, 4.5 hours and for a 20 minute exposure, 6 hours. So, like everyone I guess, I want to balance the quality of the end result with the need to avoid unnecessary exposure.

Of course one can always simply “suck it and see” and make a full exposure run using a guessed-at exposure time but I would prefer to take a more considered approach. I therefore did a test run of just 4 exposures with the Ha filter – 1 each for 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes to see what resulted after stretching using the levels tool in Photoshop. I already had dark frames for 5 and 10 minutes but as yet I have no flat frames for Ha. But I reckoned that that didn't really matter as hot pixels and any vignetting, etc. would not be much, if any, of an issue in comparing the results and coming to a decision as to which exposure time to use. So I simply subtracted the 5 minute dark from the 5 minute light and the 10 minute dark from the other 3 exposures.

Attached is a screenshot of each stretched image showing the histogram settings used in the levels tool. As to be expected, the light distribution curve widens with increasing exposure. For simple comparison purposes I have only used the white slider button and set it at the right hand end of the distribution curve. It is fairly obvious that the 5 minute exposure is not as good as the others and can be discarded immediately. But there seems to be very little, if any, difference in quality between the other 3 exposures. Do I play it safe and use 20 minute exposures? Take a chance and use 10 minute exposures? Or maybe have a bet each way and use 15 minute exposures?

Any comment that those experienced in this field would care to make would be most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Test 5 minutes stretched.jpg)
197.5 KB103 views
Click for full-size image (Test 10 minutes stretched.jpg)
200.2 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (Test 15 minutes stretched.jpg)
185.7 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (Test 20 minutes stretched.jpg)
175.5 KB97 views