View Single Post
Old 25-02-2019, 10:32 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Hi Greg,
Evidently iOptron are about to release a new small mount in their centre-balanced range:
http://bbs.imufu.cn/thread-779999-1-1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Small trackers like the Star Adventurer, Polarie, etc are small, very portable, have few requirements and consequently have limited payload.

Mounts like a HEQ5 are a different kettle of fish. Doesn't fit in a (small) backpack and is relatively heavy.

Different levels of performance and features AND versatility.

Currently, my interest is piqued by the SW AZ-GTI which, with the EQ firmware, is controlled wirelessly and is compatible with ASCOM/EQmod, so goto and plate solving are made available. Still, the payload will be limited, but it's still at the size/weight of a tracker that's easily picked up in the event of inclement weather or carried when travelling.

So really it depends on how you will use it. Your initial post suggested the former "small" trackers might be suitable, but I can appreciate how requirements and specs can shift with a little thought
Certainly different types of mounts. The better portable mounts are up around the cost of the lower GEMs though. I am also looking at the possibility of using this mount with a small refractor at some point.

Initially it would be 250 and 300mm lenses perhaps smaller.

Later it may be a small 105mm F6 high end refractor.

Even then the HEQ 5 Pro may not be good enough for a high end refractor. Not sure, perhaps it is. I am sure it would be plenty good enough for a 250mm to 300mm lens and mirrorless camera setup.

Greg.