View Single Post
Old 23-02-2019, 12:34 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

I have a star adventurer and have used it with a Nikkor 800mm ED which weights about 3.5kg. So with the camera, 4.5 kg. And then the one kilo weight It just works getting it all to stay balanced but tracks surprisingly well once aligned. Hard to to get enough tension on the lense foot mounting bolt and wedge until you get the hang of it. One minute would be the limit at that length or better at 45 sec or a lighter lense but I have seen much longer exposures with shorter lengths and it is great with wide field.

The polar scope is good if you don’t mind getting down on your knees ( you can use a right angle finder from a camera but the tripod needs to be low ) but the light is not much use. I use a red light if required or set up earlier so there is enough backlight to see the finder scope markings after using the camera GPS to get close to South. There are a lot of discussions on CN about this mount. I did see however for a little more money there is a SW portable mount with “ freedom find “ star map pointing which looks very attractive if it has the weight capacity you require it would be good to be portable but also have pointing accuracy.