View Single Post
Old 20-12-2014, 01:27 PM
raymo

Thank you for your replies Glen and Jen, [I'm a poet and didn't know it].
Firstly Glen, I have been running 3.35 successfully since not long after it came out. A typical nonsensical readout would be for instance, after an iteration I would have a readout of say Mel + 1' 48" and Maz + 2' 20", and after the tiny adjustment was made, the next readout might be
Mel - 59' 10" and Maz - 1deg 10" 20". The 8" Newt is my last option which I shall try on the next clear night. The R.A. axis is a little stiff on my HEQ5, and I think you might have hit the nail on the head when you say maybe the 80mm is too light. I have tracked successfully with it
before though, some 6 months ago. I don't extend the legs; I sit on a low stool. The tracking error is continuous and steady in one direction, which
suggests to me that an unsteady platform is not the cause. I've had occasional hiccups before, but never had the scope miss it's next
alignment star by 10 degrees +.
Jen, I don't think my power source is the problem. I use a car battery
to power the mount, and 240v to power my laptop, and the camera
[through it's 12v adaptor]. The car battery always has sufficient power, as I have a 2 amp charger connected to it during my sessions. The car battery setup has served me well for over 50 years of viewing and
film imaging.
raymo