View Single Post
Old 19-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Just wanted to share the solution to my 8" Meade LX200 DEC guiding issues with the OAG, in case it's useful to someone else in the future:

1. The scope was ever so slightly out of balance in DEC, with a tendency for the corrector plate to drift to the South. I corrected this, and made it so the scope (corrector plate end) was ever so slightly imbalanced towards the North.
2. I disabled all anti-backlash settings in the hand controller (RA & DEC). I did this by setting the percentages to 0%
3. I enabled the DEC backlash option in the PHD2 guide settings.
4. I still wasn't happy with the recommended 200 calibration step size, so I manually entered 400. This worked fine.

The mount happily moved in RA & DEC, and after a bit of fiddling with the guide settings I was able to achieve the attached guiding graph. Pretty happy with the star plot as well.
Still a bit of movement in RA that I need to sort out, however, I shot a 600sec ISO800 exposure on the Eagle Nebula (Canon 600D DSLR) and the stars look alright

The only thing I wasn't sure of was my Tot RMS error. It seems a tad high. However, I was using a guide scope previously and the RMS error there was always below 1.
I wonder if the image scale might have changed due to the OAG though? If it has, it might be distorting the figures?

Cheers, Evan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Guiding.jpg)
161.5 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (600sec_ISO800.jpg)
162.3 KB15 views

Last edited by Cimitar; 19-09-2018 at 11:24 PM.