View Single Post
Old 22-04-2016, 06:16 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
Managed to get in a few hours with the new eyepieces the last 2 nights and both the missus and I were very impressed. They are very comfortable to use although Initially I had some blackout issues but fully extending the eyeguard has completely eliminated that problem. I actually really like how the eyeguard adjusts, though I do like being able to lock it in place on the Delos, something which the XW can't do right?

Wednesday night we compared the 7 XW to the 6 Delos and personally I couldn't see a great deal of difference on Jupiter, though my partner was adamant the 7 XW was the better performer. Lastnight we put the 10 XW in the 2x Powermate and compared to the 6 Delos again and this time I could clearly see the difference. Even at the higher magnification, the XW was a lot sharper with much better contrast which really surprised me after not seeing it on the night before.

I'm contemplating picking up a 5 XW now rather than using the Powermate, but I want to try the 7 XW in there first to see if it's worth hanging on to. Being able to Powermate both the 7 and 10 would be handy, but if 3.5 is pushing it too far I'd much rather have the 5 instead.

What great eyepieces
I use the 2.5x powermate on 20 and 10mm XW's and have found no image degradation whatsoever which is a testament to both the XW's and the powermate and now i have bought the 7mm and will be interesting to see how that fairs stepping down to 2.8mm ,I have no doubt that even at that magnification it will work ,i have the XF 12mm as well so with the powermate gives me 4.8mm so i will not be buying the 5mm,just awesome eyepieces