View Single Post
Old 20-10-2008, 07:30 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

More PHD problems.. :(

It seems every time I fix one problem, another one arises... I've yet only once managed to get auto guiding to work so far, so its really becoming a pain...

Last night, when the scope was pointed to the west, it would calibrate in RA, but not in dec.. hence, dec guiding was disabled, and PE caused problems in > 5min subs

Then when I pointed over to the east, it would not calibrate in RA... its error was saying that it couldn't move the star far enough.

Keep in mind that the night before it was not having this problem... the balance had not changed as the scopes were left on the mount....

I checked cable connections quite a few times, I also parked the mount and rebalanced it a few times just to make sure, when it was in the west, the scopes were slightly heavier than the counterweight and vice versa in the east, Balancing dec was kind of touchy, as the 4" APO + QHY8 is quite a bit heavier than the ST80 + DBK, but i got the balance to the point where no matter where i pushed the scope to, it would stay put where it stoped, and when pushed in any direction it would come to a fairly certain stop, rather than it slowing, slowing more, slowing a little more etc...

I tried changing the RA agressiveness (from 85 ~ 115 in 5% increments) and also calibration step time (went from 600 ~ 1500 in 100ms increments)

Im lost.. and starting to get rather annoyed with it... The past 4 nights out I've effectively spent between 20 - 28hrs total at the scope, and in that time managed to only get a set of shots on M42 (unguided 4 min exposures) and a set on M45 (again, unguided, 4min subs..)

I pushed it out last night to 6mins unguided, and there was VERY slight trailing in the stars, so the polar alignment is pretty good...

Please help!!

Thanks for any ideas...