View Single Post
Old 18-04-2017, 02:37 AM
billdan (Bill)

Comparing an EQ6 with a Mesu is bit unfair, EQ6 costs about $2000 new and the Mesu is about $9000.
However The EQ6 is the only mount I can compare the Mesu with, having owned DOBS previously.

Attached are the unguided PHD graphs (running guide assistant) with a 3sec exposure time makes the total time of the graph approx 1285 secs (21.5 mins).

The EQ6 PE exhibits wild swings and doesn't appear consistent, making PEC pretty much useless. No idea as to what happened with RA and DEC taking off in that 3rd worm cycle (gust of wind maybe??).

By comparison the Mesu unguided graph is almost flat at the same graph scale of the EQ6. I have also attached the zoomed in version of the Mesu (graph and dartboard).
I was really pleased by this unguided performance - 0.72 arcsec overall RMS tracking and 2.5 arcsec Peak to Peak in RA.

The EQ6 closes the gap when guiding however, attached is one of my better guiding graphs and I normally get 0.7 to 1.00 arcsec guiding depending on star coordinates and seeing.

I tried the Mesu with SGPro to test PHD dithering and the Mesu comes in at 0.40 acrcsec RMS, I haven't tuned PHD to the mount yet, only dropped the aggression down to 40% to reduce overshooting. I did add the backlash stats and the graph for you to see.

Since I did these tests I had a play with Platesolve2 and its is great, it appears to makes star pointing models redundant.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase its tracking and goto's are accurate and it can handle a heavy load, so I highly recommend it.

I have a 14in F4.6 Skywatcher that I intend to get mounted onto the Mesu. Have to now find a carpenter to make me some big scope rings and buy a long Losmandy dovetail.

Cheers
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (guide-assist EQ6.JPG)
148.6 KB114 views
Click for full-size image (mesu guide asst coarse.JPG)
151.7 KB115 views
Click for full-size image (mesu guide asst fine.JPG)
158.9 KB119 views
Click for full-size image (mesu guide asst summary.JPG)
90.7 KB102 views
Click for full-size image (guiding EQ6.JPG)
152.4 KB113 views
Click for full-size image (Guiding mesu with dither NGC3372.JPG)
157.5 KB108 views
Click for full-size image (mesu backlash.JPG)
120.4 KB98 views