View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 12:23 PM
gregbradley

Also it might pay dividends to ditch PHD2. I used it for a while. It has some nice features but I found it was not as robust and reliable as CCDsoft.

Pulse guiding may also be an issue. I thought that was an AstroPhysics Ray Gralak invention. I did not know it was available outside of that. So is the software capable of utilising it? It may be easier to use the more usual guiding cable and ST4 style relays. I have used both and I don't see a lot of difference in guiding accuracy. Perhaps there is some gain but its not obvious.

In general in astrophotography, because everything really tends to be a but fussy and precious it makes sense to use the thing that works every time rather than a newest and latest that potentially is buggy. That's where these forums are good as you can find out what's reliable and what's not.

If you had PHD2 working in the past perhaps revert back to what worked in the past or if it was some other software than use that.

The SkyX now seems mature and stable and has been for a while and runs everything, mount, camera, focuser, autoguider.

Greg.